Friday, January 9, 2009

Swimming in the Deep End

Yes, it is winter here in the northern hemisphere, but something struck me as being relevant. Swimming in the deep end.

Years ago when I was in my teens, my family and I went for a sail in Long Island Sound with some family friends. I had years of practice swimming off various beaches and in a variety of swimming pools, but I had never been really been over my head. When we sailed, we were invited to go swimming. "Jump in" they said, and so I did. It wasn't but a few seconds till I realized, it was likely that I could not touch the bottom.

When we go out and do something different, we often experience that moment of being over our head. We feel unsure and nervous, but if we do some of the things we already know, we get through it.

Change is certainly like that.

No comments: