Saturday, April 3, 2010

Giving a Remarkable Thank You!

Over the years, I have received some wonderful thank you notes. The nicest are words that serve as embers to bring light to dark days. Some are trinkets and tokens.

One of the tokens I received was a red lantern from a fellow patient and his partner. In my early twenties, I was hospitalized with an extremely complicated allergic reaction to an antibiotic medicine. The ward I was placed on was a non-surgical ward. Here I made the acquaintance of a fellow patient. We spent many hours in deep conversation about life and living. Neither of us was sure if we were going to "get" better. My fellow patient was released a few days before I was. Just before they left, these wonderful people told me "I had lit the way for his recovery" They gave me a lantern, of which at the time I said, "Oh, thanks". I am sure I had a strange look on my face, but they said, "Someday you will understand, thanks for lighting the way".

Another was a great "To Do" list thank you that was printed on a large "To Do" pad. The listed item said Things to do - Thank Terry. I really treasure this thank you note because it shows how someone used the time management concepts in action. It was truly touching to me, personally and professionally.

The purpose of my telling these two stories are not to promote me, but to let you begin to think about how you can make your thank you notes and tokens remarkable and memorable to your recipients.

So who can you thank?


  • Thank the leaders and active volunteers of your associations and organizations who serve.
  • Thank the server or cashier who smiles, does his or her job with care and enthusiasm.
  • Thank you spouse or loved one who goes that extra special distance for you.
  • Thank your long time friends for the joy they bring to your life.

1 comment:

Fred said...

First, I want to thank Terry for having these public forums of her blog to increase awareness, discussion and thinking on transitions, organization and just life in general as well as all the other many professional and community services she has done and thereby helped others and lit a path for them - Thank you, Terry! I also want to echo Terry's post by saying that we don't need to wait for a major event to give thanks. We can also express gratitude for something very simple, just as Terry mentions in her examples above. Then expressing thanks becomes a spontaneous response and way of thinking, so that we will bless others and they in turn will reciprocate with blessings to us. Such blessings can carry us through rough areas in our road of life.