Sunday, February 7, 2010

Routine Reflections

Do you take time to reflect on your past activities, actions or inaction's?

Many individuals have routine times that help encourage reflection. For some it might be the stillness of being in church or temple. For others, it is when they attend a weekly meeting of a group or association. It can also be during an exercise or fitness class.

During this period of specific reflection, one can gauge progress or lack of progress on certain life goal activities with ourselves as well as reflect on our actions or inaction towards these goals.

Let me point out, that this is very different from a calendar review which many do on Friday's, Sunday's or Monday's. Routine reflection is instead a bigger picture process that reflects on major goals.    

If you haven't tried this concept of routine reflection, this might be a good  practice to start. Pick a time, that is a fairly standard constant in your life, and take a few moments out each time to reflect. You may not do it perfectly at first, but beginning is the first step. Once you have done it a few times it is likely to prove it's value to your life.

Personally, for many years I arrived early to my Toastmaster's meeting. I did this so I could spend some time in reflection. I believe it was a key component to my ability to succeed.

When do you do your Routine Reflection?

1 comment:

Fred said...

I think I used to make such reflections when I walked my dog Emma, a Belgian Shepherd Tervuren, every day, or as it usually turned out, every night. Emma demanded her walk no matter what, so off we went, no matter how late, how dreary or how weary I may have felt. She was always happy and exuberant which lends itself to productive reflections rather than brooding malevolence. But alas my beloved Emma died about 3 years ago. So now the poor substitute is reflect when I wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning. I always wake up thinking about something. I admire Terry's arriving early to meetings to reflect. In my case, I reflect on the drive over to the meeting since I'm not early, which again is a poor substitute. Also, I often pray when I reflect to try to get a right attitude. But I think Terry is most right in urging us to routinely reflect strategically on our goals and our life direction.